UCI Sharing Platform: education and knowledge sharing
Education and knowledge sharing are key components of the UCI’s development programme.
Established in 2013, the UCI Sharing Platform provides an opportunity for our National Federations (NFs) to learn from each other by sharing their experience and knowledge.
Seminars are held at regular intervals around the world, typically at the continental cycling championships. Workshops cover issues relevant to the cycling community, and enable National Federations to find solutions based on successful case studies and experiences of fellow NFs.
The objectives of the UCI Sharing Platform are to:
- Learn from other members of the cycling family
- Strengthen the network between National Federations
- Help National Federations to become stronger within the competitive world of sport
- Enable National Federations to improve their management
- Empower National Federations by involving them in the UCI Sharing Platform
Seminar topics have covered the following themes:
- General management: vision, strategy, planning, leadership, governance, organisation
- Marketing and events management: sponsorship, fundraising, partnership, event delivery and management, sustainability
- Communications and PR: media relations, promotion, image management, social media management
- Sport Development: development of racing, management of technical regulations, promotion of cycling for women
- Legal and Medical: legal considerations, contract management, anti-doping issues including results management, education and prevention
- Training and Development: training of athletes and coaches
UCI Sharing Platform Europe
The first edition of the UCI Sharing Platform was organised in May 2013 in Geneva, Switzerland. 33 delegates from 25 National Federations attended the seminar and themes discussed included:
- How to develop women’s cycling
- How to develop youth cycling
- How to improve cooperation with schools
- How to improve cooperation between the National Federations
The second edition of the UCI Sharing Platform for Europe took place in Bratislava, Slovakia on 6th and 7th March 2015. Held alongside the Union Européenne de Cyclisme’s Congress and attended by 65 delegates from nearly 40 European National Federations, the objective of the seminar was to update our members on the UCI’s work and invite them to share their experiences and knowledge.
Senior UCI staff covered topics such as strategy, anti-doping, international relations, sporting aspects, bidding procedures, communications and development. A platform was then given to the National Federations to share their initiatives covering ever-evolving issues within the cycling community with presentations from Swiss Cycling, Danmarks Cykle Union, the Cycling Union of Finland and Cycling Ireland.
UCI Sharing Platform Africa
Delegates from 12 National Federations came together in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, in December 2013 for a two day workshop to share knowledge and network. Some of the themes covered by the participating National Federations included:
- Cycling for reconciliation
- How to organise a national cycling tour
- Developing small National Federations
The second edition of the UCI Sharing Platform (USP) for Africa took place in Pietermaritzburg on 6th August 2015, alongside the Confédération Africaine de Cyclisme’s Congress and was attended by over 40 delegates from nearly 30 African National Federations.
After the update from the UCI, the workshop then focused on development and National Federations were given the opportunity, through a case study, to share their initiatives covering ever-evolving issues within the cycling community.
UCI Sharing Platform America
In May 2014, 26 delegates from 17 National Federations attended the USP America workshop in Puebla, Mexico. Issues covered in the two day seminar included:
- How to harness social media
- How best to develop smaller National Federations
- How to support and grow youth cycling
- How to run successful events
- How to combat doping
Venezuela will host the next Sharing Platform for in May 2016.
UCI Sharing Platform Asia
In May 2014, the Kazakhstan capital of Astana played host to the final seminar of the first round of the UCI Sharing Platforms. 25 participants from 16 National Federations attended the workshop which discussed:
- Developing all cycling disciplines, such as trials
- Raising sponsorship
- Cycling for health, including diabetes
- Organisation of mass participation events
Tokyo will host the next Sharing Platform seminar for the members of the Asian Cycling Confederation in January 2016.
UCI Sharing Platform Oceania
Adelaide will host the first Sharing Platform seminar for the members of the Oceania Cycling Confederation in January 2016.
Copies of the presentations given at each round of the UCI Sharing Platform are available on the NF extranet or upon request to the UCI by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org